AUGUST: ASCOLI AMONG KNIGHTS AND LOCAL TRADITIONS
AUGUST: ASCOLI AMONG KNIGHTS AND LOCAL TRADITIONS
TRIP IN BRIEF
La Quintana is an excellent opportunity to discover Ascoli Piceno under its medieval guise, with the city filled with activities to offer its visitors between historical reenactments and the famous horse competition. The travel experience will be enriched by the discovery of the surrounding villages and food and wine experiences with local producers!!
- ATTEND QUINTANA DI ASCOLI, A ONE OF A KIND HISTORICAL EVENT WHERE THERE WILL BE NO LESS THAN 1500 FIGURES TAKING PART AT THE PARADE;
- SEE COSTUMES OF HISTORICAL CHARACTERS THAT RESUME THE FAMOUS WORKS OF ARTIST CRIVELLI AND THE SIGNATURE OF IMPORTANT ITALIAN STYLISTS LIKE MARTINI, PIZZI AND GUIDETTI;
- THE ENTRANCE TO THE HORSE CONTEST WHERE THE KNIGHTS WILL COMPETE FOR THE FAMOUS PRIZE; THE CHARACTERISTIC OF THE TOURNAMENT IS THE KNOCKING DOWN OF “MORO”.
- ADMIRING PIAZZA DEL POPOLO AS ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SQUARES OF ITALY, ESPECIALLY IN A HISTORICAL CONTEXT LIKE THE EVENT OF QUINTANA, AND DISCOVER ITS LARGE MONUMENTS ALONG THE ANCIENT RUES;
- DISCOVER THE SURROUNDING VILLAGES LIKE OFFIDA, REKNOWN FOR THE HANDMADE LACE, WHERE YOU WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE GUIDED BY A CRAFTMAN WHO WILL SHOW YOU HOW THIS WORK HAS BEEN HANDED DOWN FROM GENERATIONSAND IF YOU WANT YOU CAN ALSO TRY TO MAKE THE LACE;
- LEARN HOW TO PREPARE THE “MACCHERONCINI” FOLLOWING THE ANCIENT TRADITIONS OF THE LADIES OF CAMPOFILONE, SO THAT WHEN YOU GO BACK HOME YOU CAN COOK IT FOR YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS;
- WINE TASTING OF THE DOC LABELED ROSSO PICENO IN A LOCAL CELLAR;
- ADMIRE GROTTAMMARE AND ITS HISTORICAL CENTRE FROM YOU WILL HAVE A BREATHTAKING VIEW OF THE ADRIATIC COAST, FROM MOUNT CONERO TILL SAN BENEDETTO;
- POSSIBILITY TO BUY TYPICAL PRODUCTS DIRECTLY FROM THE LOCAL PRODUCERS;
- FLEXIBILITY TO CHANGE THE PROGRAM AND SERVICES ACCORDING TO YOUR NEEDS.
3 AUG: Arrival and check-in at the hotel in Ascoli Piceno;
4 AUG: After a tasty breakfast in the morning you will discover Castel Trosino. In this small village full of history you will find the house of King Manfrì (illegitimate son of Frederick II of Swabia). Castel Trosino is also an important archaeological site of Lombard populations of Italy. The afternoon is free for you to discover the preparations of the Palio and to attend the celebrations of the patron of Ascoli. From 9 PM the event will open with "the offer of candles": the introduction to the palio of August in which the districts of Ascoli pay homage to Sant'Emidio, the patron of the city and then there will be the draw of the order of the assaults of the competition the following day.
5 AUG: Free morning at your leisure to explore the city of Ascoli by yourself and maybe buy some typical products in the local shops that produce the famous "olive all'ascolana" (stuffed Ascolana-style Olives). In the afternoon the parade of the Historic Palio begins, which boasts 1,500 participants whose steps are accompanied by drums and chiarinne. The parade starts from Piazza del Popolo and follows the streets of the historic center until it reaches the playground where the knights will compete for the famous prize. Following is the entrance at the horse competition. The challenge of Ascoli is unique in its kind because the target consists of a shield supported by a puppet that has the appearance of a Saracen called "moro". It must be dealt within three rounds, each of which consists of three assaults. The total round score is a combination of the time taken and the result obtained with the assaults to the target.
6 AUG: Today you will visit a local traditional pasta workshop in Campofilone, the hometown of the ancient culinary tradition “Maccheroncini” of Campofilone. Even today the Company is still reproducing the same traditional process to make egg pasta as it was made in the past by the old ladies of the Campofilone village. Here you have the opportunity to learn how to cook this kind of pasta with a local! In the afternoon the tour continues to Fermo. The heart of the town is the magnificent Renaissance Piazza del Popolo, formerly Piazza Grande, where there is the sixteenth century Palazzo dei Priori where you can find the Municipal Art Gallery, boasting valuable paintings of the Venetian and Marche arts and the "Nativity" by Rubens. Other things to visit are the underground roman pools and the Girfalco hills with its Cathedral… without forgetting to enjoy the breathtaking view over the countryside! Return to Ascoli Piceno.
7 AUG: Today you will discover Offida, a picturesque Medieval village enclosed in perfectly preserved walls dating back to the 12th century. Among the many cultural gems, there is certainly the Serpente Aureo Theater, a real jewel of the Baroque period, housed inside the Palazzo Comunale. Offida is also known for its wine production as well as for the creation of lace. From the historical center you can then continue with a visit to an artisan lace craftshop. In the afternoon you will visit a wine cellar in Castel di Lama in order for you to taste the typical wines of this area including the DOC labeled "Rosso Piceno"; an expert will guide you through the vineyards till the production facilities and then the tour will finish with a tasting of typical local products and wines produced on the farm. Return to the hotel.
8 AUG: After breakfast the tour continues along the coast with the visit of the beautiful historical village of Grottammare. Considered the pearl of the Adriatic, it is a tourist resort of the Riviera delle Palme celebrated for more than three centuries for the beauty of the landscape, for the evocative atmosphere of peace and serenity, and for the rich historical and cultural memories that preserves and jealously guards as a coffer. Not to miss is the historical centre perched on the hill from which you can admire the spectacular landscape. In the afternoon you can proceed to San Benedetto for a walk to admire its promenade and have a drink in the typical bars that you can find along the pedestrian street.
9 AUG: After breakfast you will have a morning cooking class in which you will learn how to make the traditional Oliva all’Ascolana. In an exclusive location in the historical center you will wear an apron and follow the chef’s explanations who will guide you step by step: which olives to choose, to piy the olives, how to fill them and how to fry. Of course you will taste your preparation, accompanied by a glass of wine! Before we say goodbye to you, we will give you the printed recipe to take it home with you. Free afternoon for shopping, to buy some souvenirs or to indulge in some excursions to nearby villages such as Castignano, a small village where it is assumed there was the passage of the Templars.
10 AUG: Breakfast. End of services.
ON REQUEST: Transfer and transports (hire car driver, car rental, coach car rental), organize guided tours, tour leader on site, booking of meals in local restaurants, possibility to extend the tour with other visits or experiences like wine tastings, trekking activity with an environmental guide, sailboat tours on Conero Coast or hiking.
For information or request contact email@example.com or +390721967941.